QSmack is a server administration tool for Quake (not QuakeWorld) servers: a program permanently connected to a server as a client with admin privileges, so that it can do anything a "real" admin could do (often automatically). It exists primarily because the "ban" console command in regular Quake is insufficient. That command does not allow multiple IP addresses or subnets to be banned. It also doesn't allow banning based on player's names. QSmack can do all that and more.
We use it on the C9 servers for banning problem players, handling various console functions remotely, and conversing with players in the game without needing to actually join the game. QSmack has been in operation on our servers for several months and has proven to be both stable and very useful. We have finally been convinced to produce a publically available version of QSmack, with all sorts of useful features:
Latest Update 04-17-00 * News: 04-17-00
* QSmack: 08-27-97
v2.02, see news item
* Server code: 01-04-98
* Frontend: 08-27-97
v1.01; see news item
- Flexible and powerful player banning, based on IP address, name or color.
- Persistence. If the server goes down, QSmack reconnects as soon as the server comes up. And banning information is permanently recorded until you remove it.
- In-game command. If you are also on the server as an admin, you can direct QSmack to ban any current player, or indeed any IP address or pattern.
- Game statistics. QSmack can be directed to dump all meaningful game data to a file. This includes all server messages, and the says, names, frags, connect times, and IP addresses of all players.
- If you use the QSmack Frontend: many more interactive features!
Think this sounds like something you could use to help administer your server?
Give it a try!
QSmack Recent News
If you've been here before and you wish to revisit a certain page, here's a site map:
- QSmack FAQ
- QSmack Recent News
- Using QSmack
- QSmack Special Characters